RapidTech is the National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for the development and advancement of Additive Manufacturing (AM) and related technologies.
RapidTech's Goals include:
Leadership Position in Academia and Industry
- Provide National Training Workshop Targeting Educators
- Attend and present AM related technical material at selected national industry events that will improve incumbent workers’ skill sets.
- Participate and provide input to ASTM F-42 in the establishment of global standards for the Additive Manufacturing industry, specifically on the technician education components.
- Conduct a national survey related to Additive Manufacturing careers to assist education in meeting industry needs.
Modify, disseminate and pilot career pathway models that include STEM components in project based instructional modules suitable for Additive Manufacturing technician education.
- Modify, disseminate and pilot existing courseware for project based approach to technician education in a hybrid distance education format.
- Modify, disseminate and pilot Student Learning Objectives (SLO) and RUBRIC to conform to CREATE NSF GRANT 1002653
Develop and disseminate successful approaches to assist in sustainability for the educational community involved in technician education.
- Distribute examples of revenue generation models and industry “in-kind” and “hard” donations through Additive Manufacturing activities, related conferences, seminars, and community outreach programs
- Disseminate examples of successful partnerships with industry or education in obtaining internships, equipment, lab space and materials to offset operational costs
- Disseminate approaches for cost savings on materials and supplies needed in operating Additive Manufacturing instructional programs.
- Identify regional affiliates capable of implementing or expanding Additive Manufacturing technician education programs and those that currently conduct at least some type of Additive Manufacturing coursework
- Assist the regional partners in piloting a sustainability program